Train Briefly, Intensely and Frequently



Q: I'm one of your blog readers and bought your Strength and Physique: The Articles, back in March this year. I've been meaning to drop you a line and comment on the articles but never got round to it (yeah, I know, it's horrible).

Anyhow, I was just reading your blog and came across your post on Hypertrophy Training for the Ectomorphs. Wow, what a revelation it was for me! I was going to ask you about specific training for a typical lean Asian guy. (For the record, I'm 5'9 and weigh 63 kg.)

I knew there were difference between the three body types, and some how I need to approach weight training differently. As I read the Ectomorph article, I'm beginning to see why I've been having trouble gaining weight, while my peers would bulk up much easier than I do.

From now on, I will apply the principle of 'Training briefly, intensely but frequently,' and the 10-8-6-15 program. Previously, I was training for too long, on too many body parts, and not frequent enough. In the end, my muscles were tone, but I was mentally and physically exhausted, and didn't put on much muscle mass.

To finish up, I just want to just thank you for your writings on this topic, as I find it inspirational, and you know, it's good to have an Asian role model to look up to when you've grown up and surrounded by Western Culture.

Keep up the good work and I'll be looking forward to Volume 2 when it's released."

Regards,

Steve
Sydney, Australia


My Answer: Hey Steve, glad you like the program. With "typical lean Asian guys," we need to focus on strength and calories and the muscle will follow.

Me? A role model? Wow, I'm honored. I think everyone can be a role model for their communities. Just be an expert at something people have an interest in, and the decent people will respect you as an individual and look past skin color or eye shape. I've been thinking about starting up another blog, one that would interest Asian Americans and other Asians of the Diaspora. Nothing too fancy at first, because I'm busy as hell right now. But a simple blog that aggregates different topics, where people can contribute their findings and writings as well.

We'll see what the future holds.





Q: Thanks for answering my question regarding your Ectomorph Training regimen. I see you only recommend using your program for 4-6 weeks at the very most. What do you suggest moving onto after this workout? Does your book provide all the answers, because I have just put in my order from Amazon.com and I can't wait to get my hands on it and read it!

When is Volume 2 of your book due out, and is it simply an updated version of Volume 1 or is it a completely new book? If it's a new book, I might have to look at buying that one too!"

Thanks again,
Sven


My Answer: Hey Sven, the book should provide you with quite a few specialization routines to choose from. After the 10-8-6-15 program, assess your physique and determine which body part you feel is lagging. Then work that lagging body part with the corresponding techniques or programs listed in the book.

Will Strength and Physique: The Articles answer all your questions? No, Sven, that's I'm writing Volume 2. Here's an excerpt:

"I want to pass on bodybuilding knowledge to a new generation of lifters. Hence, the goal of this book is not just provide you with an effective bodybuilding program, but to teach you how to train for size, symmetry and strength so that you can go on your own bodybuilding quests. The training program outlined in this book exploits all 6 factors of hypertrophy to maximize your muscular development:

1) Intensity (how much weight you use)
2) Volume (the amount of work you do)
3) Density (the amount of work you do per unit of time)
4) Frequency (how often you workout)
5) Tension (creating muscular tension)
6) Variety (performing a wide range of exercises)

"To avoid burnout and plateaus in size and strength gains, all 6 factors are modulated and varied throughout the training. You will understand how to manipulate these training factors to maximize your body’s natural anabolic hormones: growth hormone, insulin and, of course, testosterone. You will also understand how each body part has different training characteristics and how to tailor your training to hypertrophy that body part.

"Make no mistake. This program is tough physically and mentally and is meant solely for the intermediate to advanced bodybuilder looking to build a lot of muscle in all the right places."

Exciting, huh? Anyway, Volume 2 will be available before the end of this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5