Workout After Dinner?

Q: "I have started training full body twice a week. I am not able to train full body thrice a day, but plan to do the same soon. Right now I am following the following regimen: 

Monday: Back and biceps (45 minutes) 
Tuesday: Chest and triceps (45 minutes) 
Wednesday: Shoulder and legs (45 minutes) 
Thursday: Back and Biceps (45 minutes) 
Friday: Chest and triceps (45 minutes) 
Saturday: Shoulder and legs (45 minutes) 

"I follow the above regimen by doing 15 minutes of stationary biking every day immediately after the workout. I do three different exercises for each body part with three sets of 12 reps each. Please let me know as to what constitutes an ideal number of sets per body part and what should be the ideal number of reps in a set. 

"Also I would like to know whether it is advisable to do some weight workout/cardio after one hour of having dinner in order to digest the same in proper manner. I have my dinner at around 8.30 pm."

Kindly guide. 
Regards,
Manu 


My Answer: "Kindly guide," Manu? How about you kindly pay? Technically you've got a split routine and not a full body routine. But that's OK for now, at least you've made some improvement on your program design.  

As far as optimal number of sets and reps, there is no optimal number of sets and reps. However, what you're doing (3 sets of 12 reps, 3 exercises per body part) is fine. As far as working out after dinner, if you can do it without throwing up, then by all means do it. If you throw up, then that's your body telling you something, isn't it?



Q: "Hello, I read your article for LEO strength training on Bodybuilding.com. I'm trying to figure out a workout for myself. I'm a 29 year old police officer in Oklahoma, about 5'9" and 150. So I'm a little guy. I would like to get bigger, look good without a shirt on, and have good stamina, endurance and cardio, to finish the fight. Can you help me out?"

Thank you,
L. Anderson
Muskogee Police Dept
.


My Answer: The strength training program at the end of the article was meant to address all of the issues you mentioned. You may, however, want to look at your diet and start:

  1. Eating more frequently. I don't know how busy your shift is in Muskogee, but you should already be packing meals, snacks and water. For the whole day during work and off work, you should have eaten 5-6 meals.
  2. Eating more calories. If you can't eat more often because of the call volume in your sector, then try to pack in as many calories as you can when you are clear for a meal break. Now is not the time to eat like a bird.
  3. Eating more protein. Aside from eating more protein during your lunch or dinner break, protein should also constitute your snacks. Hard-boiled eggs and dairy product such as cottage cheese are great protein sources, but your partner will lament the stink from A) the eggs and B) your farts from eating so much dairy. I usually pack some protein bars, nuts and peanut butter sandwiches as portable snacks for extra calories and protein. Those things should tide you over until breakfast, lunch or dinner, where you would get real protein.

Anyway, good luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Targeting the Deltoids, Minimizing the Traps

Bench Press to Increase Pushups

Leg Presses and 5x5